Sunday 9 January 2011

Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than The Last. The Inexorable March Of Progress Will Lead Us All To Happiness

The last few months of 2010 were pretty uneventful, climbing-wise. In fact, December was the first month in which I climbed absolutely nothing since 2006! This wasn't a conscious decision to take a break, or even an injury-enforced lay off, just a combination of various factors. There was one abortive attempt to take advantage of the excellent winter conditions in the Lake District which failed thanks to an epic logistical clusterfuck (although i did get a nice walk in the snow), but it was strange that I didn't get frustrated as i have in the past when I've not been able to climb. Perhaps I just needed a rest.

Anyway, 2011 is here and I've got back on the climbing wagon, but more of that later. In the meantime, how about some statistics:

In 2010 I climbed 279 trad routes, 395 pitches, 7290 metres, 41 boulder problems, 5 winter routes and 4 new munros. I led my first E1s, led 38 HVSs (more than every previous year added together), seconded less routes (44) than any of the previous 7 years and soloed more routes than I led (142 to 134).

I also visited some amazing places for the first time (Donegal, Fairhead, Wen and Mousetrap Zawn at Gogarth, the Lleyn and Mother Carey's in particular), finally overcame a few old nemeses (Pingers and Wednesday Climb), ticked off a few things I'd been hankering after for years (Eagle Front, Dreamboat Annie, Croton Oil, Scratch Arete, Fireball and Formula One) and found a few new nemeses (Nowanda and Moonraker), as well as seen loads of new inspiring routes.

It's fair to say that my psyche is back and I'm super-excited about what the New Year might bring. The list of things I'm hoping to do is far too long to write down (or indeed actually do in a year), but it features getting stronger and climbing harder. E2 by the end of the year? Only time wil tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment