Wednesday 5 October 2011

50, 900 And The Grandest Line On Grit

So, somehow I've managed to whitter on enough to reach 50 blog posts. Yay me.

Anyway, today I escaped the wind at Turning Stone Edge with Dan (who was preparing for his imminent viva by working hard). We had a pretty productive day, which included some minimal faff leading of Overton Arete by Dan, a rather nice VS featuring an abundance of silly rockovers. He also managed to make pretty short work of an HVS slab (eek).

Sadly I didn't take up the challenge as all the other HVSs looked steep and frightening, but I did manage my 900th ticklist route, Amber Arete, which was very nice. I also lead the rather wonderful Vee Chimney, which Dan particularly enjoyed seconding. A proper classic of its type, and somehow denied the three stars it clearly deserves. Outrageous.

We finished our day out with a visit to the nearby Cocking Tor (fnar fnar) for a quick new crag point hit. The crag features only one sub-extreme route, the unstarred and inspiringly named Short Corner. When we fought our way through the bracken to the base of the crag we found a line of untold majesty rising from the greenery.


BEHOLD THE MAJESTY!

Somehow I mustered the courage to confront the magnificent corner head on, and against the odds I succeeded. As if enraged by my effrontery the heavens opened immediately, but too late, I had won. Whoop.

1 comment:

  1. > I also lead the rather wonderful Vee Chimney, which Dan particularly enjoyed seconding

    I can just picture his enjoyment :)

    ReplyDelete